Thursday, August 18, 2011

Play Date

Since Parker has been old enough to "play" with other kids, I have been sad that we couldn't participate in "play dates."  All the single moms make it sound like so much fun, and I felt like we were missing out on something important.  THEN, I got the bright idea to have a play date - just later in the afternoon after I got home from work.  Parker has a friend named Gavin.  They are the same age (both born in July) and the same size and interested in the same things - trains! And his mommy is helping me to get into shape.  Parker only sees Gavin on Sunday mornings in the nursery.  I decided that there was no reason Gaving couldn't come over and play with Parker... So, he did!  They had fun, We had fun and it was a success - Here are the things that I feel made it successful:
  • I  had cleaned up the house the weekend before, but didn't worry about the house looking "perfect."  Parker's toys were kind of scattered, but that was okay.
  • I had prepped dinner the night before, so I knew when the play date was over, dinner would be easy.
  • I invited someone that Parker knew well and I knew well.
  • I did not have high expectations... I just wanted the boys to have fun.
  • I came home and changed out of my work clothes and into comfy clothes and didn't feel obligated to get dressed up again.
  • I let the boys set the pace - they played with trains for a while and then they played outside... I didn't force them to play in a certain area.
So, all in all, I was VERY proud of myself for being a working mommy and hosting a play date during the week.  No, I didn't have fru fru food. No, I didn't look all that cute.  No, I didn't have a super clean house.  BUT the boys had a great time playing with each other and really, isn't that what a play date is suppose to be about? 

No comments:

Post a Comment